Bsc Applied Psychology, MA psych (Counselling psychology)
I am a registered psychologist in private practice working with children, adolescents and adults. My background prior to entering private practice has been in work with families, supporting individuals with a history of childhood trauma, LGBTQIA+ clients, as well as individual therapy across the life-span.
I work with adults, adolescents and children on a variety of issues, including general mental health presentations (e.g. mood/anxiety disorders), life-related transitions or stressors, experiences with bullying/workplace issues, sexuality/gender identity, relationship/attachment issues and self-esteem, concerns around eating/body-image, OCD, substance abuse (or other compulsive behaviours), and individuals seeking therapeutic support to address the impact of traumatic experiences.
I offer both more focused therapeutic work as well as longer-term therapy. In this work I place an emphasis on creating a safe, collaborative and interesting therapy space to foster new insights and feel heard. I have a warm therapeutic style and honour each individual in the context of their lives. My therapeutic approach is integrative, meaning I draw from a variety of evidence-based therapies depending on the fit with the person and the issues they are presenting with. In work with children I use play therapy, creative interventions and talking therapy in combination with work with the family.
I am also able to provide appointments in German and Finnish and provide supervision for clinicians early in their career and am a board-approved supervisor.
I work in Fitzroy and Northcote (some after-hours appointments also available) and also provide appointments over Telehealth.
I provide therapy to address a range of concerns including:
- General mental health concerns in childhood, adolescence, adulthood (e.g. mood, anxiety disorders).
- Family, peer, workplace/school difficulties in childhood, adolescence, adulthood.
- Persistent low self-esteem/shame
- Sexuality & gender identity
- Relationship & attachment issues
- Concerns around substance use or other addictive behaviours
- Concerns around eating/body-image
- Grief and loss
- Life changes & finding meaning and purpose
- Cultural identity, conflict & adjustment
The main therapeutic approaches I use/am informed by are:
Psychodynamic therapy, Brief solution-focused therapy, Schema Therapy, Emotion-focused Therapy, Mindfulness/Compassion-focused approaches, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Cognitive-behavioural Therapies
- Standard Individidual Consultation fee 200 AUD
- Discounts are possible in some circumstances (e.g. for students)
- Clients with a valid GP referral and Mental Health Care Plan are eligible for a Medicare rebate of 89.65 AUD per session.
Laura Kemppainen (Psychologist)
0432 867 845
If fully booked I can place you on my wait-list.
For further inquiries, contact me via above information or through sending a message via the form below.
Send a Message
ABN 24 19 329 376
Copyright Laura Kemppainen (Psychologist) – All rights reserved